Sunday, September 4, 2011

bliss


In one of my classes I was teaching to my university students in Korea last winter, we talked about bucket lists.  We talked about what bucket lists are and discussed some things we each had on our own bucket lists.  Bucket lists are kind of a fun thing to have but what I don't like about them is that they are future oriented, and a lot of the time people never accomplish the things on their list.  I feel that they are slightly worthless or else create a sense of wishful thinking.  I told my students that instead of a bucket list, I had created something I called my bliss list.   I've noticed there are some things that make me feel relaxed, joyful, blissful.   I'm not sure when I started doing this but I started keeping a list...maybe a few years ago?....to remind me of small, easy things I can and want to include in my life on a regular basis because of how they make me feel.  I like that most of the things on my list I can incorporate regularly in my life and when I can't....just reading this list makes me feel good.   I just thought that maybe this is my subconscious way of making my own list of "My Favorite Things" like Maria on the Sound of Music.  Which also makes me think I should add the Sound of Music to my bliss list.  Anyway....I'm posting my bliss list below.  And since that class I've strayed from my principles and started creating a bucket list (I know, I know...but a little wishful thinking might be okay) so I'll post that as well.  

Bliss List 

Orchids
Deep breathing
Stretching
Basil and Cilantro
Smoothies (watermelon mint, grape we drank at Malcolm's in Manilla)
Simplicity
Moderation
Meditation and Solitude
Reading - classics and nonfiction
Bookstores
Coffee shops (learn to make yummy drinks at home?)
Nature and Water
Kayaking
Camping
Chocolate - good quality and dark
Big windows and a lot of light
Paisley patterns
Yummy smelling candles (green apple, mistletoe, etc)
Massages
Taking walks
Limes
Key lime pie/ice cream
Jasmine tea (especially in a glass teapot)
Clair De Lune and Arabesque
Contemporary dance
Acting / Theater / Broadway Shows
Hammocks
Going to the movie theater alone
Bookstores
Sailing 
Art Museums
Relaxing music
Girl weekend trips
Old movies
Audrey Hepburn
Quotes
Watching the Sound of Music 

Bucket List 

Spend Christmas and New Years in NYC (including a NYE party where we dress up and go to a big fancy party with champagne)
Be Dolly Levi in Hello Dolly 
Go to a Cirque du Soleil show 
Girls cruise, girls trip to Paris
Sailing (properly)
Road trips (Texas, South, New Orleans, Keys, Outer Banks) and (Maine, Vermont, Prince Edwards Island)
Have a wedding anniversary party 
Silent retreat (Abby of Gethsemane?)....detox retreat.....etc?